The capital, Plaka, or Milos, at the entrance to the bay of Milos, spreads around the slopes of a hill which is crowned by the ruins of a 13th c. Venetian castle. There is an Archaeological Museum in the town housing finds from the excavations on the island, dating from various periods, as well as a plaster cast of the famous statue of the Aphrodite of Milos (Venus de Milo), the original of which is now in the Louvre Museum in Paris.
There is also a folklore museum. The site of ancient Melos is near the small fishing village of Klima, 2 kilometres south of Plaka.
Excavations have brought to light part of the cavea of a theatre dating from the 3rd c. and remains of fortifications. Near this theatre the famous statue of Aphrodite was found by chance in 1820 by a farmer. Another chance find in the same area – between Klima and Trypiti – twenty years after the discovery of the statue, brought to light the famous Catacombs of Milos, an important monument of Early Christian times. They were used by Christians for worship, and also as burial places for their dead and a refuge from the persecution they suffered. Adamanda, or Adamas, the harbour, is 4.5 kilometres from Plaka, and 8 kilometres south of it lies the superb beach of Khivadolimni. The tranquil beach of Emborios can be visited by caique from Adamanda. On the south-west coast of the island are two impressive grottoes: Sykia and Klephtiko.
The medieval capital, Palaiokhora, was built in the interior, south-east of Adamanda. The modern village of Zephyria is built on the same site. In the east of the island, near the sea, are the sulphur mines, with the remote beaches of Paliokhori and Ayia Kyriaki further south. The beautiful sea-side village of Apollonia, or Pollonia, is 12 kilometres east of Plaka, and 3 kilometres to the west of this settlement, archaeologists have uncovered the remains of ancient Phylakopi.
Published on: 07.04.2011